Backend Engineer (Recommendations)
At Viaplay Group, we entertain millions of people every day through our streaming services, radio networks, TV channels and production studios. We believe in the power of content not just as a way of telling stories and touching lives, but also expanding worlds.
We may have started in the Nordics, but we have a global mindset and consider ourselves to be the international entertainment provider. This means we’re constantly launching our Viaplay streaming service in new markets and on the lookout for talented, curious, driven professionals to join us on our journey.
Right now, we’re searching for a Backend Developer to join the Data Science team in our Stockholm office – are you ready to hit play on an exciting career change?
As a backend engineer, you will bring to life recommender systems and other intelligent services that personalize and enhance the experience on our video on demand (VOD) streaming service Viaplay. You will join a humble but ambitious team called Recommendation Platform. With other software engineers, you will develop and operationalize recommendation models, integrating with Machine Learning services such as AWS SageMaker and Viaplay’s Data Lake built by sister Data Science teams.
What we’re looking for
We understand you may feel confident ticking certain boxes more than others and that’s why we always keep an open mind in our recruitment process. But, in order to thrive in this role, we do believe you’ll have at least some experience in the following:
- Building solid and high performing micro-services in Node.js, Microservice/Serverless architecture.
- Using multiple programming paradigms and languages.
- Working in a production environment supported by Docker hosted in the Amazon Cloud
- Understanding of data modeling, data access, data storage and optimization techniques
- Working in an agile development process
- Working with product iterations based on consumer feedback and behavior data.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Familiarity with Java
- A can-do attitude, sense of humor and the ability to work humbly with others.
- We’ve got the basics covered (and then some)! 30 days of paid vacation every year, flexible work arrangements and extra compensation on top of a parental pay lift.
- Your wellbeing matters. We have an attractive pension and insurance scheme with full health care coverage should you need it.
- A safe space to grow and up-skill with the freedom to try new things in autonomous teams. Our learning culture puts you in the driver’s seat of your own development, while always making sure you feel supported with regular knowledge-sharing sessions, technical training, mentorship opportunities and peer-to-peer networks.
- An innovative environment with Hack Days, not once, but twice a year. This week-long initiative allows you to think outside the box and deliver creative, technical solutions that (more often than not) go on to be implemented, either in our product or our ways of working.
- A genuinely international and diverse group of colleagues to connect with. We’re striving towards a 50:50 gender balance & we’re not far off – plus last time we checked, we have more than 60 different nationalities across our nine offices!
- Entertainment is what we love, and entertainment is what we do. So, unlimited access to Viaplay seems only fair for you to get to know the product – including live sports & pay per view events, new release movie rentals, linear channels and more.
Hit play today
If this feels like your kind of challenge, make sure you apply by attaching your CV here – you may also want to add your LinkedIn profile. Please don’t send us your application via email because we won’t be able to accept it. We do, however, welcome any questions you may have about this particular position.
Want to learn more about who we are and what we do? Check out our careers page or follow us on Instagram! We’re only ever a few clicks away.
- Product, Data & Tech
- Stockholm, Sweden
Backend Engineer (Recommendations)
Loading application form
Already working at Viaplay Group?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.